- (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) Olive OIl
- (1 large- finely chopped) Onion
- (1 Pound) Ground Beef
- (1 Cup + 1-2 Tablespoons) Yellow or White Cornmeal (not self-rising)
- (1/2 tsp) Baking Soda
- (3/4 tsp) Freshly Ground Cumin
- (1.5 tsp) Chili Powder
- (1 tsp) Garlic Powder
- (1 cup) Gallon Glass Jar (optional filled with free raw cow's milk)
- (2 eggs, beaten) Chicken Eggs
- (1 cup) Corn (fresh, frozen or canned and drained)
- (1/2 pound, grated) Cheddar Cheese, Cut
- (2-3 finely chopped) Jalopeno Peppers (optional)
- (3/4 tsp) Pacific Ocean Gourmet Sea Salt Coarse Grain
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-size frying pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until translucent.
3. Add the ground beef, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Pour off any accumulated fat.
4. Combine 1 cup of the cornmeal, the baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, the remaining 1/2 cup of the olive oil, eggs, and corn.
6. Stir the liquids into the cornmeal mixture, mixing by hand just until smooth; do not overmix. Set aside.
7. Grease a large iron skillet, and warm over very low heat.
8. Sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal on the bottom, brown slightly, and then pour in half the batter.
9. Gently spread the meat and onion mixture on top; add the cheese and jalapenos (optional).
10. Pour the remaining batter on top.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown; a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Reference: The Grass-Fed Gourmet Cookbook