- (4-5 lbs. ) Boston Butt Roast
- (1 tablespoon) Salt
- (2 teaspoons) black pepper
- (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- (1/2 cup) water
- (2 cups) tomato sauce, fresh or canned
- (coursely chopped) 1 onion
- (2 cloves minced) garlic cloves
- (2 tablespoons) dark brown sugar
- (1/2 teaspoon) dry mustard
- (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- (1/4 cup) ketcup
- (1 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
Rub the roast with the salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and brown the roast, about 3 minutes per side.
Place the meat in a slow cooker with the water, tomato sauce, onion and garlic. Cook on low heat all day, for about 5-6 hours.
About 1 1/4 hours before you are ready to eat, combine the brown sugar, dry mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the meat, and continue cooking another hour until fork-tender.
Remove the meat, slice, and place on a warm platter. Meanwhile, let the sauce thicken by simmering on the stove for a few minutes; pour over sliced roast and serve.